“The RNCM Collection of Historic Musical Instruments is essentially an amalgamation of two collections originally assembled by Dr Henry Watson (1846-1911), and a smaller collection by Josiah Thomas Chapman (1843-1907).
It comprises in excess of 300 instruments (European wind, strings and keyboard; Non-European wind, strings and percussion), including a number of keyboards by Broadwood; viols by Barak Norman and Collingwood; violins by Stradivarius and Guarnerius together with some wind instruments from the 18th and early 19th centuries. The items of non-European ethnic origin are also of interest.
The Collection is located in the basement of the Library part of the College building (to the left of the main entrance on Booth Street West). It can be accessed using the staircase behind the Box Office or by the lift situated opposite the RNCM Library. Please note that outside advertised opening hours access is restricted.”