“A new permanent exhibition hall dedicated to stringed instruments has opened in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The gallery at the Isaac Fernández Blanco Museum of Spanish–American Art features as its centrepiece a 1732 violin by Guarneri ‘del Gesù’ (pictured). This instrument is displayed along with a portrait of the museum’s founder, Argentinian collector Isaac Fernández Blanco, who was painted holding the violin, which he purchased in 1900.
The permanent exhibition comprises 14 instruments in all, including violins by Rugeri, Guadagnini, Santo Serafin, Gobetti and Cappa, and also several violins made in the first decade of the 20th century by Buenos Aires maker Camillo Mandelli di Calco. The exhibition represents only a small proportion of the museum’s collection, which also includes a number of rare bows.” -The Strad